|IntelliStar 2 XD|
IntelliStar 2 XD's Current Conditions screen as of 2019.
|OS:||Windows Embedded Standard 7|
|Release Date:||June 2014|
|Format:||480i Standard Definition|
1080i High Definition
The IntelliStar 2 XD (stylized as the "IntelliStar 2 xD" or "I2 XD") is the current multi-definition successor to the IntelliStar 2 HD and the original IntelliStar. Like previous iterations of the Weather Star system, the unit is installed at each cable provider's headend. The system was the first IntelliStar to output in both 480i standard definition (through a letterboxed 16:9 output) and 1080i high definition. The IntelliStar 2 XD was later used alongside the IntelliStar 2 Jr as a permanent replacement for IntelliStar 1 systems on November 16, 2015 as a result of the discontinuation of the domestic IntelliStar.
The I2 Jr functions similarly to the original IntelliStar 2, with Vocal Local narrations provided by Jim Cantore. The IntelliStar 2 XD uses the same hardware platform and case as the IntelliStar 2 Jr, reducing hardware complexity. The unit also runs on Windows Embedded Standard 7, powering Vizrt and the various custom programs written by The Weather Channel for the IntelliStar 2 platform.
Unlike past IntelliStar units, the I2 XD is a fully digital system; no analog inputs or outputs are present on the unit. After the traditional satellite signal is received at the headend, the satellite receiver passes the IP video data to the i2 XD inputs over ethernet. The I2 XD output is then sent over ethernet, using a similar IP stream as the input signal, to the video delivery equipment in the headend.
Graphics Packages on the IntelliStar 2 XD
The Enhanced graphics set used until the August 2019 relaunch
The current August 2019 graphics refresh
- As part of the decomissioning of the IntelliStar 1, the I2 XD is deployed as a replacement unit at no cost to cable providers using IntelliStar 1 systems. As a side effect, many cable companies replaced their existing I2 HD units with the I2 XD at the same time.
- The unit launched with the current Enhanced graphics package
|September 22, 2015
- All existing sidebar products are discontinued. The sidebar rotation is reduced to two total products. The previous Sunrise/Sunset and Moon Phases products are redesigned into a single new product and a local radar loop was added.
|January 26, 2016
- Air Quality Product is added to the LDL
|February 2, 2016
- Pollen Product is added to the LDL
- The LDL hourly forecast precipitation product changes to 5% increments.
|April 3, 2018
- The sidebar now only displays for 1 minute during the live "Local on the 8s"
- I2 XD receives a refresh to the LDL.
- The Weather Channel logo is replaced with a "Local on the 8s" logo
- Ad crawls now display above the LDL during the live "Local on the 8s" segments as a replacement for the full Local on the 8s.
|August 20, 2019
- I2 XD receives the new 2019 rebrand graphics package.
- The font used on the unit changes to Roboto
- The sidebar is completely removed from the package, bringing video back to a full screen layout
- A new slim black LDL premieres
- The LDL size is compressed to the height of one line of text at the bottom of the screen
- All MSO specific messages now display as crawls instead of as message blocks.
- The ad crawl now appears as part of the LDL cycle, the first product behind the optional MSO specific message
- Traffic products are removed from the cycle
- Local on the 8s no longer animate the background on and off screen, and the font is changed. The rest of the forecast remains the same as the previous package.
|May 18, 2020
- I2 XD receives a new metro forecast map product.
- The Today product appeared at the end of the local forecast, and the Tonight/Overnight product was shown after the radar product.
- Utilized the Akko and Tungsten fonts retired in August 2019
|May 19, 2020
- The metro forecast map product is removed from the I2 XD.
- The addition of the product, which apparently predated the changes made in August 2019, was presumably a mistake.