|IntelliStar 2 XD|
IntelliStar 2 XD's Current Conditions screen as of 2019.
|OS:||Windows Embedded Standard 7|
|Release Date:||June 2014|
|Format:||480i Standard Definition|
1080i High Definition
The IntelliStar 2 XD (stylized as the "IntelliStar 2 xD" or "I2 XD") is the current multi-definition successor to the IntelliStar 2 HD and the original IntelliStar. Like previous iterations of the WeatherStar system, the unit is installed at each cable provider's headend. The system was the first IntelliStar to output in both 480i standard (through a letterboxed 16:9 output) and 1080i high definition.
The IntelliStar 2 XD follows the design of the IntelliStar 2 Jr, using the exact same case. The IntelliStar 2 HD also runs on Windows 7 Embedded Standard. In terms or software for the unit, most of the higher-level programs running on the IntelliStar 2 XD were written in C# and F# by The Weather Channel, and the rendering engine is powered by Vizrt. 
Graphics Packages on the IntelliStar 2 XD
The Enhanced graphics set used until the August 2019 relaunch
The current August 2019 graphics refresh
- As part of the decomissioning of the IntelliStar 1, the I2 XD is deployed as a replacement unit at no cost to cable providers using IntelliStar 1 systems. As a side effect, many cable companies replaced their I2 HD with the I2 XD at the same time.
- The unit launched with the current Enhanced graphics package
|September 22, 2015
- The Weather Channel changes the sidebar products. The Intellistar 2 would rotate between Local Radar and Sunrise/Sunset and Moon Phases.
|January 26, 2016
- Air Quality Product is added to the LDL
|February 2, 2016
- Pollen Product is added to the LDL
- The LDL hourly forecast precipitation product changes to 5% increments.
|April 3, 2018
- The unit receives a refresh to the LDL. The Weather Channel logo is replaced with a Local on the 8s logo, an ad crawl is added to the LDL.
- The sidebar now only displays for 1 minute during the live "Local on the 8s"
- Local on the 8s now only appears at :18 and :48 past the hour.
|August 20, 2019
- I2 XD receives the new 2019 rebrand graphics package.
- The font used on the unit changes to Roboto
- The sidebar is completely removed from the package, bringing video back to a full screen layout
- A new slim black LDL premieres
- The LDL size is compressed to the height of one line of text at the bottom of the screen
- All MSO specific messages now display as crawls instead of as message blocks.
- The ad crawl now appears as part of the LDL cycle, the first product behind the optional MSO specific message
- Traffic products are removed from the cycle
- Local on the 8s no longer animate the background on and off screen, and the font is changed. The rest of the forecast remains the same as the previous package.
|May 18, 2020
- I2 XD receives a new metro forecast map product.
- The Today product appeared at the end of the local forecast, and the Tonight/Overnight product was shown after the radar product.
- Utilized the Akko and Tungsten fonts retired in August 2019
|May 19, 2020
- The metro forecast map product is removed from the I2 XD.
- The addition of the product, which apparently predated the changes made in August 2019, was presumably a mistake.